Modern materials on the management of information technologies are difficult. For example, the current version of ITIL library consists of five main books with a total size nearly 2 thousand pages, and recently published editorial office COBIT 5 at the moment contains three books and more than 400 pages, at least two more names of books of COBIT prepare for the publication. Despite the essential sizes of source texts, at the essence of ITSM (look how it is explained here) there are same two principles that led to the emergence of this approach more than two decades ago:
• the main form of the organization of activities for management of an IT process;
• the main form of provision to the business of value on the basis of IT resources are IT services.
And a natural consequence from them:
• management processes of an IT shall be directed to quality management of the provided IT services.
The ITIL library determines ITSM as the system of the processes and functions specialized for management of IT services for the lifecycle of the last.
Really, if the organization is dealing with the provision of services, its processes shall provide quality of these services. But whether always the internal IT service is occupied with the provision of services? Whether always between the IT department and business there are service relations? And what is “the service relations”, and how they concern the internal function of the organization?
ITSM proposes the solution of two tasks of management of an IT at the entity: organizations of resource management and activities of IT service and organization of interaction of IT service and business. At the essence of decisions – process and service approach.
• The process approach – a method to organize organization activity is repeated, measured, predictable, it is rational for quality assurance of services/products and internal efficiency:
— emphasis on the organization of activities;
— resource management.
• Service approach – the organization of interaction between the party receiving value from the use of resources (business divisions), and the party responsible for resource management (IT service):
— emphasis on liabilities and interaction,
— management of results.